- How do I know?
- Treatment for me?
- How we can help
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a condition that is associated with pain and other symptoms caused by sciatic nerve compression. The sciatic nerve begins in the lower region of the back and runs to your buttocks and down the back of both of your legs.
What causes Sciatica?
Sciatic nerve pain causes range from a herniated disc to a spinal cysts or tumor. Basically, anything that develops in the lower back that comes in close contact with sciatic nerve can cause sciatic nerve pain. A herniated disc in the lumbar back will usually cause sciatic nerve pain. Aging and the general wear and tear of our discs, in combination with sudden pressure, tend to be the most common causes behind sciatica conditions.
How Can I Prevent Sciatica?
There are no specific techniques for sciatica prevention as sciatica causes are related to so many other spinal conditions. We recommend lifestyle changes as your best bet for prevention of spinal problems. You can start by quitting smoking first. Maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly and practice proper posture. Also, try not to sit for long periods of time and using proper body mechanics. Also, bend properly, lift properly and avoid twisting of the body.
How do I know if I have Sciatica?
A Sciatica diagnosis can be made after a complete medical history has been taken and MRIs or CT scans have confirmed the presence of Sciatica.Sciatica Symptoms
- Radiating pain worsened by sitting
- Sharp constant pain on one side of the rear leg that can affect standing or walking
- Weakness or loss of motor function in the leg or foot
- Numbness or tingling down one leg
WHAT IS THE RIGHT TREATMENT FOR ME?
When pain medication, exercise and chiropractic adjustments and other conservative Sciatica treatment do not provide relief, you may be a candidate for Sciatica surgery.Sciatica Treatments:
- Physical Therapy - A therapist will work with you to show you how to properly stretch and exercise and build your core and surrounding muscles.
- Chiropractic Adjustments - The chiropractor manipulates the spine to reduce the amount of separation of the surfaces in the joint resulting in an increased range of motion.
- Prescription Medications - Depending on the severity of your condition your doctor will either recommend an over the counter pill or write you a prescription for stronger medication.
- Acupuncture - stimulates the skin and muscles to produce a therapeutic effect helping to relieve muscle inflammation.
HOW WE CAN HELP?
Same Day Spine Surgeons are the most experienced surgeons to relieve the pain from Sciatica surgery. We offer the most effective and widest variety of conservative and surgical Sciatica treatments available to get you back home the same day and back to your life. Sameday Spine Institute specializes in minimally invasive treatments for Sciatica surgeries, using the latest cutting edge technologies, including Advanced Laser Disc Treatment and Minimally Disruptive Lumbar Stabilization. Use our quick and easy Symptom Evaluation Tool and Recommended Treatment Tool to help us get you on the road to recovery.